Caddo Lake Featured on National Geographic
A local treasure, Caddo Lake was on National Geographic Explorer Monday, January 28. Caddo Lake is an official “Wetland of International Importance,” but has been threatened by the world’s worst invasive weed, Giant Salvinia. That drew the attention of National Geographic host, Sal Masekala, and producer J.J. Kelley. Both have traveled around the world, and found Caddo to be “one of the most magical locations” they had ever seen.
East Texas and Ark-La-Tex locals will appear to discuss their efforts to manage Salvinia. These include Billy Carter, owner of Johnson’s Marina, the oldest inland marina in Texas; Daren Horton, President of the Caddo Biocontrol Alliance; and Laura-Ashley Overdyke, the Executive Director of the nonprofit, Caddo Lake Institute. Read More…
Paddlefish Experiment Press Coverage
In 2014 and 2016, Caddo Lake Institute, wildlife officials and other partners released paddlefish into Caddo Lake and Big Cypress Bayou as part of an experiment. At each release, we invited a small number of press to join us. A sampling of the resulting stories and videos are below.
May 2016 Release News Stories and Videos:
- May 25, 2016, Shreveport Times – “Paddlefish Released into Caddo Lake”
- May 18, 2016, KTAL News – “Paddlefish Released in East Texas Waters”
- May 18, 2016, Longview News-Journal – “Release of 31 Paddlefish to Help Guage Habitat Health at Big Cypress”
- February 6, 2016, Marshall News Messenger – “Residents Hear Update on Paddlefish Project During World Wetlands Day”
March 2014 Release News Stories, Blogs and Videos:
- ABC News blog – “Prehistoric Paddlefish Makes Return to Texas Lake”, March 6, 2014
- Associated Press article – “Texas Lake Welcomes Back Paddlefish, Gone for Years”, March 5, 2014 (This story was picked up by over 150 news outlets across the country.)
- Fox News-Dallas video story
- Marshall News-Messenger article and video – “Ebb and Flow: Paddlefish Reintroduced to Caddo Lake”, March 6, 2014
- Longview CBS affiliate news story – “Prehistoric Fish is Reintroduced to an Old Home”, March 6, 2014
- Red River Radio article and audio story – “Dinosaur Era Paddlefish Once Again Inhabit Caddo Lake”, March 6, 2014
- RFD-TV’s show “Out on the Land” episode about the paddlefish project – “Paddlefish Returned to Caddo Lake” (Season 3, Episode 39) and a follow up – “East Texas Ranch” (Season 5, Episode 53)
- Shreveport Times article – “Prehistoric Paddlefish Released into Caddo Lake”, March 18, 2014
- Tyler Morning Telegraph article – “Project Attempts to Bring Back Fish”, March 6, 2014
- Tyler Morning Telegraph article – “Paddling Upstream: Cooperative Effort Helping Bring PLongview News-Journal video of the paddlefish release.